Re: Unicode issue

Hello Tomas,
                      Some of my installation are working fine with mails written in hindi but one of my installation is showing me garbage value if i look in to the header part is shows ;-

look at the second line and tell me is there anything wrong with this mail ...

Is there any thing creating a problem in the middle ???

Note: Correctly showing the subject part which is also in hindi.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Tomas Kuliavas <tokul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Piyush Joshi <pj.netfilter <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am having an issue with display of mail whenever someone send mail in
> Hindi from gmail squirrel-mail doesn't show it correctly, I know this is
> Unicode issue and i did some changes to solve using Google help but so far
> no success ..Having few query :-
> 1. What's all requirement to properly display mail in all or particular
> language.

Email must be correctly formatted (MIME RFCs 2045-2048). Correct Content-Type,
charset, Content-Transfer-Encoding and MIME-Version headers must be used. If
email does not follow MIME standards or provides false information about used
character set, broken mailer must be fixed instead of SquirrelMail display
code.

Character set must be supported by SquirrelMail. wiki has page with supported
charsets. Other charsets can be added, if charset's mapping to Unicode table
is publicly available. If symbols used in charset are not supported by
Unicode, they will be replaced with ?. If charset has large mapping table and
symbols can't be mapped with simple code, this charset must be supported by
PHP recode, iconv or mbstring extension. General rule - charset with more
than 256 codepoints must be supported by external charset conversion library,
if it is not some Unicode variation.

Browser and OS must support particular language. Firefox and other Gecko
browsers need fonts with symbols for that language. IE might need some OS
updates or language packs.

Users must complain and provide constructive feedback and help, if they want
to solve particular charset or text alignment issues.

> 2. When replying and forwarding the mail written in Hindi why squirrel-mail
> add garbage value instead the actual content.

You reply in html_mail plugin, which is limited to iso-8859-1 due to bug in
plugin code or character set used by user's translation does not support
Hindi symbols or user overrides character set in browser.

> 3. Is it required to have html enabled for seeing message in different
> language.

I think current stable display code has some quirks that are triggered, if
you view html-only email in text mode, but they are specific to some European
languages.

SquirrelMail supports utf-8 display since 1.2.9. utf-8 decoder supports all
utf-8 byte sequences. If I remember correctly 1.4.5 version improved html
display and converted email text to character set used by webmail user in
compose, if output charset supported all or most of input charset symbols.
In real life it means that only utf-8 translations can fully use this feature,
because other charsets don't cover all symbols supported by UTF-8 and list of
other compatible charset pairs is really short.

If users use Gmail in Hindi (tested only Devanagari version), their emails are
composed in utf-8. SquirrelMail can display those symbols in any translations
(I can't give 100% warranty for Japanese).

--
Tomas