Re: After changing user password Squirrelmail is inoperative

Hallo, Mark,

Du meintest am 12.07.10:

> We had to change the password on our Linux server due to a security
> issue, and now our Squirrelmail program cannot be accessed. Before we
> made this change our Squirrelmail was working fine and could be
> accessed from our web interface at mail.ourwebsite.com.  But now it
> won't even connect to the site, and an error page is generated
> stating that a connection to the server cannot be made.  We also
> re-booted our Linux server after making the change to the user
> password, then re-logged in to the command line on the server for a
> final verification of our new password - there is only one user
> account on the Linux server.  What went wrong?

"squirrelmail" is one of many programs (MUA, mail user agent) to access
mail on a server. It uses "imap" or "pop3". That means: if you use
another mail program you should be able to read and write e-mail as
before.

What MTA (mail transport agent) program runs on the server and
distributes mail to the user's postbox?

If you log in on the server as that special user and type

        mail

you should see the number of mails waiting on the server (aborting:
"quit").

That's no way instead of "squirrelmail", but it shows if/that mail is
accessible.

> Do we need to change the password in our MySQL authentication?

May be - who owns that database?

> Did re-booting the server cause the Linux mail service to stop
> running? How do we re-start the service?

You should see (with the "mail" command) if/that new mail has arrived.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut