Re: After changing user password Squirrelmail is inoperative

My apologies for the previous post... using a small laptop and
fat-fingered the return key. see below for a continuation.  Karl

On Mon, July 12, 2010 4:42 pm, Mark Anderson wrote:
> Hi:
>
> We had to change the password on our Linux server due to a security issue,
> and now our Squirrelmail program cannot be accessed. Before we made this
> change our Squirrelmail was working fine and could be accessed from our
> web interface at mail.ourwebsite.com.  But now it won't even connect to
> the site, and an error page is generated stating that a connection to the
> server cannot be made.  We also re-booted our Linux server after making
> the change to the user password, then re-logged in to the command line on
> the server for a final verification of our new password - there is only
> one user account on the Linux server.  What went wrong? Do we need to
> change the password in our MySQL authentication? How do we do that?  Did
> re-booting the server cause the Linux mail service to stop running?  How
> do we re-start the service?  Please help...we need to get this back up and
> running today asap - on Tuesday at the latest because this is affecting
> our product sales
>  platform.

As I said, changing a password will not cause Squirrelmail to stop
working, however having an IMAP server stop running because it's not in
the startup scripts may be your problem.

Do you use Dovecot? UWIMAP? Courier IMAP?

Each of these are started a bit differently, but moreso depending on the
underlying platform. I recommend reading this page:

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/systems-management/8116-an-introduction-to-services-runlevels-and-rcd-scripts

Without knowing which IMAP server you run, helping will be hit-and-miss at
best.

Karl

> Mark
> itprof_ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
 repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---