Re: Squirrel Mail issues with large inboxes

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:03:56 -0400, Piet Slaghekke
<pslaghekke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Jonathan Angliss wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:47:27 -0400, Piet Slaghekke
>> <pslaghekke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I am sure more people have had issues with this and perhaps some of your
>>> solutions could be shared with me.
>>>
>>> I am using SM version: 1.4.10a
>>>

>> Upgrade, 1.4.10 is 2 years old, and has several known security issues.
>>
>Yes  agreed.
>>
>>> If a user as an inbox of more than 2000 messages it may take SM 1 +
>>> minutes to load.  Sometimes it will give the folloing error message:
>>> *ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.*
>>> Query: SEARCH CHARSET ISO-8859-1 ALL UNDELETED From {11} cron daemon
>>>

>> Despite the fact in another email you say you don't have filtering
>> turned on, this error alone says you do.  The user has defined a
>> filter that searches ALL emails from cron daemon.  That means that
>> it's going to ask your imap server to search all 2000+ messages every
>> time you go into the inbox, or refresh the left frame.

As a side note, there is a bug in the filters plugin [1] that is
generating an invalid IMAP call.

>Correct,  the particular error  message did come from a SM instance with
>two filters enabled.   I have other users with no filters that are have
>a long delay before the inbox is loaded.      I thought SM would only
>run filters on incoming messages.. but then it would miss emails that
>came into the inbox using another email client, is there a way to set SM
>to only filter incoming messages and ignore the messages already in the
>inbox?

As Frederick explained, the filters plugin in SquirrelMail is run on
the folder post delivery, akin to using filters in desktop mail client
such as Thunderbird or Outlook when downloading POP3 mail.  You can
tell the filters to only apply to unread messages, which limits the
scope, but that's a per user option.

I've not seen an issue with loading a mailbox when using Maildir, and
having the server side sorting options enabled, especially not with
2000 messages.  I used to run my SquirrelMail archives from a similar
setup, and had 120k+ messages in one folder alone without any issues.

Do you have threading enabled?  If so, try turning it off.  You're
saying this is impacting multiple users? Have you checked the state of
the server? Disk i/o? How about running some of the calls from a
telnet session, and see what the performance is like.

telnet serverip 143
A01 LOGIN "username" "password"
A02 SELECT INBOX
A03 SEARCH UID 1:*
A04 UID FETCH 1:* (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE BODY.PEEK[HEADERS.FIELDS
(Date To Cc From Subject X-Priority Important Priority Content-Type)])
A05 LOGOUT

The A04 line should be on one line, client wrapped it.

If you notice any delays, you may be looking at an IMAP server issue.

Something you might want to check, and an issue I had with courier in
the past, was the trash retention policy.  There is/was a
configuration entry in the imap configuration that defined an age for
emails in the trash folder.  This is checked on every login, and scans
the content of the trash folder for emails older than a certain date
to purge. For some reason, I cannot find any details on it, so it
might not be a valid option (has been a few years).

[1]: http://www.squirrelmail.org/bugs/2805201

--
Jonathan Angliss
<jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>