Re: Squirrel Mail issues with large inboxes

Jonathan Angliss wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:47:27 -0400, Piet Slaghekke
<pslaghekke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am sure more people have had issues with this and perhaps some of your
solutions could be shared with me.

I am using SM version: 1.4.10a

Upgrade, 1.4.10 is 2 years old, and has several known security issues.

Yes  agreed.

If a user as an inbox of more than 2000 messages it may take SM 1 +
minutes to load.  Sometimes it will give the folloing error message:
*ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.*
Query: SEARCH CHARSET ISO-8859-1 ALL UNDELETED From {11} cron daemon

Despite the fact in another email you say you don't have filtering
turned on, this error alone says you do.  The user has defined a
filter that searches ALL emails from cron daemon.  That means that
it's going to ask your imap server to search all 2000+ messages every
time you go into the inbox, or refresh the left frame.

Correct,  the particular error  message did come from a SM instance with two filters enabled.   I have other users with no filters that are have a long delay before the inbox is loaded.      I thought SM would only run filters on incoming messages.. but then it would miss emails that came into the inbox using another email client, is there a way to set SM to only filter incoming messages and ignore the messages already in the inbox?

and then load correctly after a page refresh.

Is there a recommended amount of email to be held in the inbox? (I can
run an archiving script to cleanup everyones inboxes moving old mail to
archive folders)

or are there some settings I can tweak to make squirrelmail load faster
and without errors after logging.

Again this slowness only occurs after the initial login. After
squirremail has loaded the inbox it works well.

Look in the config/config.php and search for plugins, and see if you
have one defined for filters.  If you do, disable the filters plugin
(put // at the beginning of the line) and see if you get an
improvement.

Thanks will try this.