Re: Squirrel Mail issues with large inboxes

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:47:27 -0400, Piet Slaghekke
<pslaghekke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I am sure more people have had issues with this and perhaps some of your
>solutions could be shared with me.
>
>I am using SM version: 1.4.10a

Upgrade, 1.4.10 is 2 years old, and has several known security issues.

>If a user as an inbox of more than 2000 messages it may take SM 1 +
>minutes to load.  Sometimes it will give the folloing error message:
>*ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.*
>Query: SEARCH CHARSET ISO-8859-1 ALL UNDELETED From {11} cron daemon

Despite the fact in another email you say you don't have filtering
turned on, this error alone says you do.  The user has defined a
filter that searches ALL emails from cron daemon.  That means that
it's going to ask your imap server to search all 2000+ messages every
time you go into the inbox, or refresh the left frame.

>and then load correctly after a page refresh.

>Is there a recommended amount of email to be held in the inbox? (I can
>run an archiving script to cleanup everyones inboxes moving old mail to
>archive folders)

>or are there some settings I can tweak to make squirrelmail load faster
>and without errors after logging.

>Again this slowness only occurs after the initial login. After
>squirremail has loaded the inbox it works well.

Look in the config/config.php and search for plugins, and see if you
have one defined for filters.  If you do, disable the filters plugin
(put // at the beginning of the line) and see if you get an
improvement.

--
Jonathan Angliss
<jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>