Re: SM erratic behavior with read receipts

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Jim McIntyre
<jmcintyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still having trouble - more info follows.
>
> I hate to say this, because I know what it means: It all worked OK
> before... but before what? I changed to https, I probably upgraded SM, I
> probably updated EIMS. I don't know exactly when the issue started
> happening, and I can't easily roll things back to see what broke.
>
> Anyway, here's more.
>
> Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>>> Users are having trouble reading messages when the sender has requested a
>>> read receipt. The javascript alert from SM asking whether to send a
>>> receipt now keeps coming up (after a delay of a second or so) when the
>>> user clicks "OK". The receipts are being delivered. but SM never moves on
>>> to display the message.
>>
>> Perhaps your IMAP server does not support this.  You can tell by
>> enabling the "info" plugin, then going to Options==>IMAP Server
>> information and clicking submit (only the SELECT command should be
>> checked).  The result will need a "PERMANENTFLAGS" line with
>> "$MDNSent" in it.  You can also test this by logging in by hand to
>> your IMAP server by telnetting to it and issuing these commands:
>>

> The response to the test (sent from Options > IMAP Server) included
> these lines:
>
> * FLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Recent \Answered \Flagged \Draft $MDNSent)
> * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Answered \Flagged \Draft $MDNSent)] OK

So it is supported.  The IMAP server, then, does not appear to be
setting that flag when SM tells it to or its response to SM after the
flag is set is not understood by SM.

>> If you need to disable this feature, turn off $default_use_mdn in the
>> configuration file or use conf.pl ==> 4. General Options ==> 8. Allow
>> use of receipts
>
> Certainly an option but not ideal - read receipts are mostly an
> annoyance (we have a few folks who insist on using them all the time)
> but sometimes it's important to know when one was requested and have the
> opportunity to acknowledge it.
>>
>>> When the user finally clicks "Cancel," the email message they were trying
>>> to read is usually not displayed correctly: the page is completely empty
>>> below the (default) grey bar containing the "Message List" "Delete" etc.
>>> links. On rare occasions the message is displayed OK, but I haven't been
>>> able to discern a pattern.
>
> What does SM do if I click "Cancel" (don't send a receipt) the first
> time the alert pops up? Does it try to reset the message flag, or does
> it do that only if I click "OK"?

The flag that stores whether or not the response was sent is not set.
You should see the Options line still has a link to send the response.
 If the flag had been set correctly, that link would not appear.

>>> I don't think we had this problem until we started using https:, but I
>>> don't know why that would cause it.
>>
>> It shouldn't, but if you can test that, I can look at what you find.
>
> This morning I tested using standard http: and still had the same
> problem. Would it be helpful if I created a test mailbox, sent a message
> with a receipt request to it, and took a packet dump of the traffic
> between the SM and IMAP servers while trying to read the message? I
> don't know the IMAP protocol so I'm not sure I'd know what to look for.

Yes, very much.

You can also try adding this in src/read_body.php.  Look for about
line 823 and add the lines with the + sign in front of them (don't add
the + sign itself):

      $supportMDN = ServerMDNSupport($mbx_response["PERMANENTFLAGS"]);
+  sm_print_r('supportMDN?', $supportMDN);
+  if ($supportMDN) sm_print_r('SendMDN?', SendMDN($mailbox,
$passed_id, $final_recipient, $message, $imapConnection));
      if ( SendMDN( $mailbox, $passed_id, $final_recipient, $message,
$imapConnection ) > 0 && $supportMDN ) {
         ToggleMDNflag( true, $imapConnection, $mailbox, $passed_id,
$uid_support);
         $message->is_mdnsent = true;
         $messages[$uidvalidity][$passed_id]=$message;
      }

Oh, and up at about line 382, you can add this:

    $read = sqimap_run_command ($imapConnection, $cmd, true, $response,
                                $readmessage, $uid_support);
+  sm_print_r('Toggle MDN Flag:', $cmd, $read, $response, $readmessage);