SM erratic behavior with read receipts

Hi,

I'm running SM 1.4.17 in front of EIMS 3.3.7. Both are runnning on Mac OS,
but on separate servers inside the same subnet, so no firewall issues.
Users must connect to SM via the https: protocol. Requests for http: are
redirected to the secure URL. SM is running on Apache 1.3 with PHP 4.4.9.

Users are having trouble reading messages when the sender has requested a
read receipt. The javascript alert from SM asking whether to send a
receipt now keeps coming up (after a delay of a second or so) when the
user clicks "OK". The receipts are being delivered. but SM never moves on
to display the message.

When the user finally clicks "Cancel," the email message they were trying
to read is usually not displayed correctly: the page is completely empty
below the (default) grey bar containing the "Message List" "Delete" etc.
links. On rare occasions the message is displayed OK, but I haven't been
able to discern a pattern.

The mail server log doesn't indicate any connection or authentication
errors when the receipt is sent by SM. Is there anywhere I can look within
SM, or some debugging mode I can enable, to figure out what's going wrong?

I don't think we had this problem until we started using https:, but I
don't know why that would cause it.

Regards,
Jim McIntyre