Re: SM erratic behavior with read receipts

> I'm running SM 1.4.17 in front of EIMS 3.3.7. Both are runnning on Mac OS,
> but on separate servers inside the same subnet, so no firewall issues.
> Users must connect to SM via the https: protocol. Requests for http: are
> redirected to the secure URL. SM is running on Apache 1.3 with PHP 4.4.9.
>
> Users are having trouble reading messages when the sender has requested a
> read receipt. The javascript alert from SM asking whether to send a
> receipt now keeps coming up (after a delay of a second or so) when the
> user clicks "OK". The receipts are being delivered. but SM never moves on
> to display the message.

Perhaps your IMAP server does not support this.  You can tell by
enabling the "info" plugin, then going to Options==>IMAP Server
information and clicking submit (only the SELECT command should be
checked).  The result will need a "PERMANENTFLAGS" line with
"$MDNSent" in it.  You can also test this by logging in by hand to
your IMAP server by telnetting to it and issuing these commands:

A01 LOGIN <username> <password>
A02 SELECT INBOX
A03 LOGOUT

If you need to disable this feature, turn off $default_use_mdn in the
configuration file or use conf.pl ==> 4. General Options ==> 8. Allow
use of receipts

> When the user finally clicks "Cancel," the email message they were trying
> to read is usually not displayed correctly: the page is completely empty
> below the (default) grey bar containing the "Message List" "Delete" etc.
> links. On rare occasions the message is displayed OK, but I haven't been
> able to discern a pattern.
>
> The mail server log doesn't indicate any connection or authentication
> errors when the receipt is sent by SM. Is there anywhere I can look within
> SM, or some debugging mode I can enable, to figure out what's going wrong?
>
> I don't think we had this problem until we started using https:, but I
> don't know why that would cause it.

It shouldn't, but if you can test that, I can look at what you find.