Re: SM erratic behavior with read receipts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still having trouble - more info follows.

I hate to say this, because I know what it means: It all worked OK
before... but before what? I changed to https, I probably upgraded SM, I
probably updated EIMS. I don't know exactly when the issue started
happening, and I can't easily roll things back to see what broke.

Anyway, here's more.

Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>> Users are having trouble reading messages when the sender has requested a
>> read receipt. The javascript alert from SM asking whether to send a
>> receipt now keeps coming up (after a delay of a second or so) when the
>> user clicks "OK". The receipts are being delivered. but SM never moves on
>> to display the message.
>
> Perhaps your IMAP server does not support this.  You can tell by
> enabling the "info" plugin, then going to Options==>IMAP Server
> information and clicking submit (only the SELECT command should be
> checked).  The result will need a "PERMANENTFLAGS" line with
> "$MDNSent" in it.  You can also test this by logging in by hand to
> your IMAP server by telnetting to it and issuing these commands:

The response to the test (sent from Options > IMAP Server) included
these lines:

* FLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Recent \Answered \Flagged \Draft $MDNSent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Answered \Flagged \Draft $MDNSent)] OK

> If you need to disable this feature, turn off $default_use_mdn in the
> configuration file or use conf.pl ==> 4. General Options ==> 8. Allow
> use of receipts

Certainly an option but not ideal - read receipts are mostly an
annoyance (we have a few folks who insist on using them all the time)
but sometimes it's important to know when one was requested and have the
opportunity to acknowledge it.

>> When the user finally clicks "Cancel," the email message they were trying
>> to read is usually not displayed correctly: the page is completely empty
>> below the (default) grey bar containing the "Message List" "Delete" etc.
>> links. On rare occasions the message is displayed OK, but I haven't been
>> able to discern a pattern.

What does SM do if I click "Cancel" (don't send a receipt) the first
time the alert pops up? Does it try to reset the message flag, or does
it do that only if I click "OK"?

>> I don't think we had this problem until we started using https:, but I
>> don't know why that would cause it.
>
> It shouldn't, but if you can test that, I can look at what you find.

This morning I tested using standard http: and still had the same
problem. Would it be helpful if I created a test mailbox, sent a message
with a receipt request to it, and took a packet dump of the traffic
between the SM and IMAP servers while trying to read the message? I
don't know the IMAP protocol so I'm not sure I'd know what to look for.

Many thanks,
Jim