Re: Changing the UI views in current dev SM

On Nov 15, 2008, at 8:49 AM, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:35 AM, Scott Haneda <talklists@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On Nov 15, 2008, at 2:02 AM, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

>>> Why col_date?  The whole table is what isn't stretched out, right?
>>
>> I thought you wanted me to report the name of the css class I could
>> not find referenced in any css files.  I am no longer trying to
>> resolve the issue of a table not fitting into the correct width,
>> which
>> is easily solved by setting the second inner table to 100% the same
>> as
>> the outer table.
>
> You didn't specify that you found a fix for the problem you first
> reported.  If you can indicate where you made this change, I'd like to
> commit it to SVN.  Please do tell.

I think it is premature now that you have explained a few things to
me.  Rather than me supplying patches willy nilly here and there, I
want to get a better grasp of what is going on with the code and the
theme systems.

I can provide much better patches, and patches that do more and take
less of your time in code review, if I take the time to learn a more
complete idea of the entire system.

>> Ay any rate, eventually, if this is to remain as a table, I would
>> need
>> access to every td in every table.  I think I can manage this with
>> the
>> new template based theme system, it looks a lot like phpBB, which I
>> have hacked around in a good deal.
>
> I think ultimately the idea was to leave the simple table layout and
> allow skin developers to go table-less if they felt like it.  But I'd
> be interested to hear if you have another proposal for the basic
> default template.

To table or not to table.  I have been thinking about this in the
background a bit.  The table layout provides a logical way of viewing
web based email.  It fails on a few fronts, mainly in that the refresh
parameter must be set for the left frame.  I think still having that
is a good idea, but rather then meta refresh, using a little
javascript in that area may give a better user experience.  It may not
be worth it for the fact it can fail if you do not want to use JS.

Certainly, there are many actions users perform in SM, that can be
more intelligent about that refresh.  Any action in the main window
(child) certainly can send a refresh off to the left frame (child)
giving it a much higher chance of being up to date.

Then, you can simply not enable an auto-refresh, which saves some
performance cycles to the server, as well as that blink of page redraw
on the screen.

The clock is another one, in that it is only as up to date as a
refresh, and adding in the seconds parameter, is rather pointless, as
it will always be out of date.  There are plenty of preferences that
set the time zone and offset, so that can easily be a real time clock.

The main consideration for me with the left/right table issue, is
design driven.  If you want to make a truly well designed theme, the
left and right frames should, in my opinion, be able to blend into
each other.  This could be tricky since the width of the left frame is
variable. I do think, with some thought, a background image could be
put into place, that seamlessly blends the two together, and no matter
the left frame width, the users experience would be that the page is
one cohesive unit.

I will tackle this when I get there, but I just wanted to put it out
there, as it is the first area I will look at once I get up to speed
on the system.

>> Ok, I can do that as well, that is a simple find and replace as long
>> as I am careful.  I think the new template/theme/skin system will
>> make
>> it a non issue anyway, as I should be able to rename anything I
>> desire
>> to whatever I desire, as soon as /css and the other little bits are
>> compartmentalized into the template system.
>
> Well, but it makes A LOT of sense to keep a consistent list of
> commonly used base styles.  Forcing every skin developer to create a
> whole slew of styles of their own is overkill and won't be very
> inviting to more casual skin developers.

Right, good point.  And further, each css class, id etc, needs to be
documented along with the name.  A simple short one or two sentence
description of what it controls, where it can be found and where it is
in use, will go a long way.  There is no way my brain can remember
this as I go, so as I always do, I will be taking notes as I go for my
own purposes.  If these end up becoming useful, you can add them to
the docs when I feel they are complete.  Perhaps they could become
part of a theme development guide that should one day exist.

Thanks again.
--
Scott