Re: One time password for SM

>> I don't think so, but as I said, I could be wrong.
>
> I think you are.  WHY don't you think so?  If imapproxy decides it's
> time to release the user's login session (sure, this depends on a
> number of factors in the configuration of all the tools involved -
> imapproxy, SM, PHP), the password is lost and your webmail session
> dies unexpectedly.  If you have enough idle time configured into
> everything and auto folder list refresh turned on, you might be able
> to get away with it, but this relies on a user config setting (folder
> refresh), which isn't ideal.

ahh, you are correct - I mis-read your post (sorry - too many windows
open literally and figuratively).  Imapproxy will time out a session
forcing you to generate a new OTP.  However, I view that as a security
feature and not as a problem. If you need two-factor authentication
for webmail you also want to time-out the sessions - and so it should
not be "unexpected".

>> N.B: the version in the how-to uses radius, which is not part of the
>> open source Community Version.  However, we have a PHP network client
>> that could be integrated with the Community version.  Also, since I
>> wrote that how-to for SM, we have added mutual https authentication
>> that prevents network-based MITM attacks by validating the ssl cert
>> for the user. You can find out more about that
>> here:http://www.wikidsystems.com/learn-more/technology/mutual_authentication.
>
> Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

>>> I actually have a plugin sitting around that creates OTPs from within
>>> the SM interface (they are ONLY *SquirrelMail* OTPs); the somewhat
>>> insecure part of the puzzle being that SM actually takes the user's
>>> real password and stores it in an encrypted file.  The encryption is
>>> decent (any mcrypt-supported algorithm works), but it's still always
>>> an iffy proposition for an application to store user passwords.  This
>>> particular plugin is years old and needs a lot of face-lifting before
>>> it would be ready for use.

Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.
404.962.8983
http://www.wikidsystems.com
Commercial/Open Source Two-Factor Authentication