Re: One time password for SM

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Nick Owen <nowen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> No. Since SquirrelMail logs in to the IMAP server at least once per page
>>> view, OPT is worthless. You might not even get as far as to loading both
>>> frames after logging in, since the password will change every time you use
>>> it. Using an IMAP proxy might help though, until it times out and the
>>> connection to the IMAP server is lost. Every time the connection is closed
>>> or lost, a new password will be generated and throw you back to the
>>> SquirrelMail login page.
>
> You can get around this using Imapproxy - as noted in the doc.  It's
> been awhile since I wrote this, so I could be out-of-date.

> The packages are listed in the how-to and in the original doc I used
> to install everything:
> http://nakedape.cc/info/Cyrus-IMAP-HOWTO/quickstart-fedora.html
>

>>> They state that they can. A link marked "Squirrelmail and other IMAP
>>> services" on the first page links to
>>> <http://www.wikidsystems.com/community-version/documentation/howtos/two_factor_webmail>.
>>
>> Their instructions depend on the weakness Fredrik pointed out not
>> happening: the IMAP proxy server timing out your credentials.
>
> I don't think so, but as I said, I could be wrong.

I think you are.  WHY don't you think so?  If imapproxy decides it's
time to release the user's login session (sure, this depends on a
number of factors in the configuration of all the tools involved -
imapproxy, SM, PHP), the password is lost and your webmail session
dies unexpectedly.  If you have enough idle time configured into
everything and auto folder list refresh turned on, you might be able
to get away with it, but this relies on a user config setting (folder
refresh), which isn't ideal.

> N.B: the version in the how-to uses radius, which is not part of the
> open source Community Version.  However, we have a PHP network client
> that could be integrated with the Community version.  Also, since I
> wrote that how-to for SM, we have added mutual https authentication
> that prevents network-based MITM attacks by validating the ssl cert
> for the user. You can find out more about that
> here:http://www.wikidsystems.com/learn-more/technology/mutual_authentication.

Keep up the great work!