Re: One time password for SM

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Fredrik Jervfors
<jervfors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64
>> SM 1.4.11
>>
>> I'm prepared adding One-Time-Password to SM as experiment.  Please
>> advise are following packages working on SM;
>>
>> opie-client opie-server libopie-dev
>>
>> They are on Ubuntu repo.
>
> No. Since SquirrelMail logs in to the IMAP server at least once per page
> view, OPT is worthless. You might not even get as far as to loading both
> frames after logging in, since the password will change every time you use
> it. Using an IMAP proxy might help though, until it times out and the
> connection to the IMAP server is lost. Every time the connection is closed
> or lost, a new password will be generated and throw you back to the
> SquirrelMail login page.
>
>> On googling I found;
>> Open Source Two-factor authentication: The WiKID Community Edition
>> http://www.wikidsystems.com/community-version
>>
>> Can it work on SM?  If YES which package/packages shall I download?
>
> They state that they can. A link marked "Squirrelmail and other IMAP
> services" on the first page links to
> <http://www.wikidsystems.com/community-version/documentation/howtos/two_factor_webmail>.

Their instructions depend on the weakness Fredrik pointed out not
happening: the IMAP proxy server timing out your credentials.

>> OR are there other suggestions?  TIA
>
> A plugin hooked into the logout page of SquirrelMail could be used to
> create a new password if the system allows it, but I don't have any
> suggestions right now on how to do that in practise.

I actually have a plugin sitting around that creates OTPs from within
the SM interface (they are ONLY *SquirrelMail* OTPs); the somewhat
insecure part of the puzzle being that SM actually takes the user's
real password and stores it in an encrypted file.  The encryption is
decent (any mcrypt-supported algorithm works), but it's still always
an iffy proposition for an application to store user passwords.  This
particular plugin is years old and needs a lot of face-lifting before
it would be ready for use.