Re: Spam Sent From WebMail

> Do you have any proof of a virus logging in? Couldn't it just be plain ol'
> keyboard logging and the the person who gets the logs (not your intended
> users) sends out the spam manually? It's technically possible to write a
> program that logs in automatically, using any kind of mail interface - not
> just web mail interfaces, as long as you have the password, but without
> the password it's a harder nut to crack. The key question is: how do the
> spammers get the password? If they get it through a broken browser caching
> the user name and password, fix the broken browser.

I haven't been able to figure out what the name of the virus is,
yet... however... I doubt it is keyboard logging for the following
reasons:

1 - The logins happen from IPs on our network (that is.. someone
outside didn't capture the login info and then use it).
2 - When the user cleans their machine the spam stops going out, even
if the password is kept the same.

Alot of these users have reported they don't type their
username/password into webmail, but rather use IE to save it.  So the
virus is getting the username and password out of the IE saved
password area.