Re: Spam Sent From WebMail

>> Please provide more information about your setup.
>> 1. SquirrelMail version
>
> 1.4.4 (have not upgraded due to various themes, etc we have installed)

please upgrade. http://www.squirrelmail.org/security/.

or turn off login_auto functionality and block all requests to
src/mailto.php.

>> 2. All modifications made in standard SquirrelMail scripts
>
> None

really?

"not upgraded due to various themes". If you haven't modified SquirrelMail
scripts, upgrade path is simple. You just have to fix login page and
reapply msg flags patches.

>> 5. PHP session.gc_maxlifetime value and other not default PHP session
>> settings.
>
> session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440
>
>> Are you sure that trojans or worms are abusing webmail and not some
>> broken form on your webserver?
>
> Absolutely... again, when the accounts are terminated (e-mail access shut
> off) the spam stops (From that user).    When I check the SENT box of the
> offending sending user, all of the spam that was sent is in the sent
> folder.  Additionally, the FROM name and E-MAIL address have been changed
> to the spammers. (We have since disabled the ability of users to change
> their from e-mail and name in an attempt to discourage the spammers.

If you use SquirrelMail 1.4.4 and turned off email modifications in
SquirrelMail configuration, you haven't disabled it.

--
Tomas