Re: OT: Top posting (Was: Spam Sent From WebMail)

> Also, just as an FYI, Paul.... when someone top posts or bottom posts
> or does anything else that isn't set in stone or law... it's probably
> better to just let it go rather than go off about it.   That has the
> potential to make people very very upset... and is what gives alot of the
> Linux community a bad name.

Bottom and inline posting are the preferred ways when writing to the
SquirrelMail lists (and almost every FOSS related list I know of, both
Usenet and mailing). The reasons for it are debated at several web pages
(one of them being <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html>).

Every community has rules, even though they might be more or less formal,
and stating the rules could be considered an act of kindness (with the
intent of preventing the rule breaker to embarrass himself/herself). A
person who gets upset (or even "very, very upset") about being told when
doing something wrong could, by some, be considered to have an attitude
problem. It probably tells you more about the "very, very upset" people
than about the FOSS community. Someone who wants to get along with the
community would be thankful for being told about the community's
etiquette. When asking for help it might be smart to do so in a way
considered pleasant by the person providing the help.

Sincerely,
Fredrik

Because it messes up the flow of reading.