>> Paul Lesniewski wrote:

>>> Why is there ANY user data (mail or not) in the web tree?  Unless it's
>>> all website stuff... but none of that is related to SM anyway.

>>> That's a much different error than you gave the impression of (which
>>> is why you should always include this the first time).  This is
>>> usually due to an out-of-synch UID cache issue.  But if it happens
>>> only with one message no matter if you log out and back in again,
>>> etc., then the issue may be related to the message or the IMAP server.

>>> I would test with SM 1.4.10 before worrying any more about this.
>>>

>> I'm running
>>
>> squirrelmail-1.4.8-4.0.1.el4.centos.noarch.rpm
>>
>> which is the latest update from RHEL compiled for CentOS. I don't like
>> to step outside of what is supposedly know to work by RedHat.
>>

> Then suffer its bugs and don't expect support from developers who may
> have already fixed such issues or ask RedHat for support.
>
> SM is a very simple PHP script.  You can install it from tarball in
> minutes (without destroying the one you get via RedHat) and probably
> use the same config file as well.

>>> ANY messages?  Or just one or two?
>>>

>> Any message, one message, all messages. I can't read any of them. I can
>> delete any or all of them. I can move any or all of them and once they
>> are outside of the INBOX I can read any or all of them. The only thing I
>> cannot do is read a message while it is in the INBOX.
>>
>> Of about 500 hosted domains across 14 servers, I am aware of only about
>> 6 accounts which have this problem. SquirrelMail is available to all our
>> users, but the vast majority never use it. So this is not a problem with
>> 1% of the SquirrelMail users.. but more likely 10% or so. It has
>> happened now on at least three different servers... same exact problem.

>> John Hinton

This is not a SquirrelMail bug but instead a Dovecot pre 0.99.13 bug. It
allows the X-UID header for emails to grow too large. Even deleting the
mail INBOX and recreating it does not make this issue go away.

The cure....

Upgrade Dovecot.

Shut down your mail system including Dovecot.

Move to the main mail directory such as /var/spool/mail

For the user having the problem, lets say his name is david, run:

grep -v '^X-UID: ' david > david2
grep -v '^X-IMAPbase: ' david2 > david
rm david2

check that permissions on david held

cd ~david/mail (assuming you are using mail as the IMAP mail storage area)
cd INDEX
ls -al

Find the .imap.index files and/or the dovecot.index files and delete them.

Restart your mailservices. Test reading email in the INBOX in SquirrelMail.

Note: It is a good idea to make backups of key files.

Other notes on Dovecot 1+

This version has the ability to set the default IMAP mailfolder, which
appears to be a very good idea due to Outlook issues. If you do set this
folder in Dovecot, you will want to unset it in SquirrelMail or you'll
wind up with ~<user>/mail/mail, assuming you are using mail as the
folder name.

Also,
$imap_server_type       = 'uw';
seems to work fine and the delimiter is
$optional_delimiter     = '/';

Sorry to be misdirected with this, but I really didn't know just how
many services SquirrelMail provided.

Best,
John Hinton