Re: Very slow display of all Squirrelmail pages - problem solved

Rainer Sokoll wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:24:06PM -0700, Bob wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the great suggestions. I went down
>> http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/SquirrelMailPerformance exploring the
>> various solutions. I decided to try an imap proxy
>> (http://www.imapproxy.org). This  completely solved the problem.  The
>> docs for  impproxy point out that webmail  clients, like SM,  log  in to
>> imap for each page. That gave me the idea to try imapproxy. I don't
>> really know why it helped so much, since my telnet login to my imap
>> server (which runs as a daemon) was fast. But it does work! Thanks!
>>

> I cannot imagine that imapproxy boosts the performance so dramatically.
> Most probably, you still have a configuration problem, either on the
> webserver or on your IMAP server, but by using imapproxy you bypass the
> problem.
>
> Rainer

I thought so too, but what could that be? My web server is successfully
serving several active web sites, some using mysql / php for dynamic
content delivery and they fly. My average load times are under 3 secs.
So it probably isn't apache. I use courier-imap and connect to it with
thunderbird. No delays getting mail there either. I would estimate it
takes about 3 secs for thunderbird to log in and download a folder. The
proxy essentially maintains state for the web session. I do the same
thing with my dynamic content server. I also have a site or two that are
stateless using static html. No delays there too.

It's hard for me to believe that the proxy would make this much
difference. However, I ran through all the other SM fixes (deflating
pages in apache, etc.) with no change in performance. Then immediately
after installing imapproxy, my webmail speed was as fast as my other
sites (including the initial login page and the first view of my inbox).
If, in fact, the problem was configuration, wouldn't you expect either
the login page or the first inbox page to slow down? Also, before when I
sent an email from SM, there was a 30 to 60 sec delay before the screen
refreshed and returned me to the inbox. Now it just takes 2 or 3 seconds.

Though it's nice the problem is gone, what bothers me is probably what
bothers you; What could be changed other than maintaining state? If in
fact, the problem is long login delay (though I didn't find that when I
telnet in), then at least one screen would be slow to load (while the
proxy logged in). But that' isn't the case.  If the web server were to
blame, wouldn't other sites on my server also be slow? Imapproxy doesn't
change the way the pages are served. It just logs in and stays logged in
to IMAP. I have the proxy set to only work on 127..0.0.1, so it is only
interacting with SM.

This problem (very slow serving of pages) occured on my old server too.
I just upgraded and reinstalled everything. This, at least to me, rules
out the particular implementation. I am using the latest stable version
of courier-imap (w9th authdaemon, which speeds everything up). The only
plugins I use are password and calendar. courier is fully threaded and
has SORT (though I use neither in my SM client).

While I don't have the problem any longer, I am troubled too by such a
dramatic change just by caching the session. Is there something lurking
in the background I inadvertently worked around?

Bob