Re: Very slow display of all Squirrelmail pages - problem solved

Bob wrote:
> Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>
>> Please do NOT reply offlist

>>> I tried the apache changes suggested in the web page, etc. The problem
>>> persists. I have several php applications serving pages on my server.
>>> All run blindingly fast. One is Gallery, which uses php and mysql. I
>>> also have written a php dynamic web content system that also runs so
>>> fast it is indistinguishable from serving straight html. For that
>>> reason, I think we have to rule out php and apache. I checked my imap
>>> (courier-imap) and it supports THREAD and SORT.
>>>
>>> Squirrelmail is the only application with these extraordinary load
>>> times. I  created a new email account with nothing in the inbox and the
>>> delays were exactly the same as they were with email accounts with large
>>> inboxes. Is there something I can do to track this down?
>>>

>> Try logging in to the IMAP server on the command line, use same
>> command sequence as SM does.  Disable all plugins when logging in via
>> SM.  Turn up all logging in all systems until the problem is fixed.
>> SM is not a heavy PHP application unless something like the filters
>> plugin is being used...
>>

> I turned off all plugins, disabled SORT and THREAD.I manually logged
> into imap with virtually no delay (2 sec). SM takes 25 sec to load the
> login page and 45 sec to load the inbox. No SM filter plugin is
> installed (all filtering is on my server using maildrop). Nothing in any
> log looks unusual. No errors in any log I can locate. The httpd logs
> (access and error) are all normal. I must be missing something, but I
> can't figure out where to look next.
>
> Bob

Thanks for the great suggestions. I went down
http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/SquirrelMailPerformance exploring the
various solutions. I decided to try an imap proxy
(http://www.imapproxy.org). This  completely solved the problem.  The
docs for  impproxy point out that webmail  clients, like SM,  log  in to
imap for each page. That gave me the idea to try imapproxy. I don't
really know why it helped so much, since my telnet login to my imap
server (which runs as a daemon) was fast. But it does work! Thanks!