Re: [SM-DEVEL] Proposed changes to squirrelmail.org

On 1/30/07, Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hope you are aware of the David Harris earthquake going on in the
> > Mercury/Pegasus package. Strange that two free mail client developers
> > have voiced the same thing almost simultaneously.
>
> Unlike that case, no one developer owns the code and I don't think
> there is any way that could ever happen with SM.

Yes Paul. I do agree.

> > Can we think about forums. The mail list is at times really a pain to
> > wade through. There was the suggestion of a wiki. I feel that many of
> > the ordinary users may not be savvy enough going through a wiki even
> > now.
>
> Forums have been asked for in the past.  The problem with them is that
> they require developers to be actively watching them, and that's just
> not realistic for the project as it stands right now.  The best way to
> gain attention is via email.  There's also issues about public
> archival, etc.  I don't think wading through list posts is too
> different than a forum, *depending* on what site you are using to
> search list postings (gmane.org? marc.theaimsgroup.com?).  As for
> wikis, we already have one and have for years.  ;-)

> (but it's not for asking questions in that sense)

That is exactly the point. We need something to point the ordinary
users to. This should target the ordinary users who normally come into
the list asking for help, which is already available somewhere had
they looked closely enough.

kmnair