Re: [SM-DEVEL] Proposed changes to squirrelmail.org

> > I think I can speak for all the developers when I say that we are all
> > ready to quit our jobs and work on SquirrelMail exclusively if the
> > money is right. :-)
>
> Hope you are aware of the David Harris earthquake going on in the
> Mercury/Pegasus package. Strange that two free mail client developers
> have voiced the same thing almost simultaneously.

Unlike that case, no one developer owns the code and I don't think
there is any way that could ever happen with SM.  I think Steve's
comment was more a joke than that... or a pipe dream or something like
that.  Bob's "solution" is interesting and I don't doubt that it
theoretically is possible, but Steve is very much correct in that it
would take no small amount of effort -- many of the companies on the
"commercial support" page already do offer similar support, and in my
personal experience working with one of them, I'd say about 20%  (if
that) of the inquiries we got were from people who were willing to pay
real world money for the work that they were asking for.  Problem with
even talking about getting something like that off the ground is that
we are already strapped to donate our time to the project, so we'd
actually need for there to be some level of donations to the project
before anything else.... and I don't think anyone donates to any of
the SM developers that I know of.  (No, I'm not trying to whine...
sometimes it might be nice to be rewarded a bit more, but sometimes I
think some of us like the scale of the project as is.)

> > This is one of the reasons I believe there
> > needs to be a separate "support" link and it needs to be really damn
> > near the top of the page so that it cannot be missed.  The faster a
> > user can get pointed in the right direction for answers, the faster
> > they will get an answer and move on with their life.
>

> Can we think about forums. The mail list is at times really a pain to
> wade through. There was the suggestion of a wiki. I feel that many of
> the ordinary users may not be savvy enough going through a wiki even
> now.

Forums have been asked for in the past.  The problem with them is that
they require developers to be actively watching them, and that's just
not realistic for the project as it stands right now.  The best way to
gain attention is via email.  There's also issues about public
archival, etc.  I don't think wading through list posts is too
different than a forum, *depending* on what site you are using to
search list postings (gmane.org? marc.theaimsgroup.com?).  As for
wikis, we already have one and have for years.  ;-)  (but it's not for
asking questions in that sense)  Oh, and don't forget that we do have
a bug tracking and enhancement request system on our SourceForge page.

Cheers,

Paul