Re: Proposed changes to squirrelmail.org

>>> Can we think about forums. The mail list is at times really a pain to
>>> wade through. There was the suggestion of a wiki. I feel that many
>>> of the ordinary users may not be savvy enough going through a wiki
>>> even now.
>>
>> Forums have been asked for in the past.  The problem with them is that
>> they require developers to be actively watching them, and that's just not
>> realistic for the project as it stands right now.  The best way to gain
>> attention is via email.  There's also issues about public archival, etc.
>> I don't think wading through list posts is too
>> different than a forum, *depending* on what site you are using to search
>> list postings (gmane.org? marc.theaimsgroup.com?).  As for wikis, we
>> already have one and have for years.  ;-)
>>
>> (but it's not for asking questions in that sense)
>
> That is exactly the point. We need something to point the ordinary
> users to. This should target the ordinary users who normally come into the
> list asking for help, which is already available somewhere had they looked
> closely enough.

End users should get support from their system administrator. Their system
administrator can get support at the SquirrelMail mailing lists. I would
be great if all the system administrators out there could make sure that
they took that responsibility, but not all of them do. We can't help the
end users anyway, since we're not their system administrators so there's
not much point in getting a forum for them.

If we remove all reference to SquirrelMail in the packages, the end users
wouldn't end up here in the first place, but I'm not sure that's something
we would like to do. Still, as someone pointed out, Apache end users don't
know that the pages served to them are served by an Apache server. We
could make it the same with SquirrelMail if we wanted to.

Sincerely,
Fredrik