Re: international character sets

> Hello,
>
> I am using the latest stable version of SM. In the config.php file I set
> the character set as UTF-8 because I need to be able to read and reply to
> emails written in languages such as Chinese, French or Russian.
>
> So far Russian emails are displayed just as set of question marks. I
> haven't yet tried others but maybe someone would be kind enough to point
> me in the right direction?

If you can't view Russian emails, check email headers. Look for MIME-Version,
Content-Type and Content-Transfer-Encoding headers. I think you are testing only
broken Russian form mails. If all headers are present - make sure that you pass
configtest.php checks without error messages or notices and show those headers.
If headers are not present - check rfc 2045
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2045.html). Some webmasters ignore 4th chapter.
Some ignore 6th chapter.

If Russian emails are converted to question marks when you reply or forward
them, make sure that you are using US English or Russian translation.

You need SquirrelMail extra decoding library in order to read Chinese. Extra
decoding library has higher PHP requirements than standard PHP install and
current library version does not catch PHP iconv extension errors. Make sure
that PHP recode extension is present in your PHP install.

--
Tomas