Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: merging mono files

The format needed by GrandOrgue (GO) is wav, 24 bit, 48kHz, PCM. When I use audio editors, this is what the files seem to show so I don't even know why they need converting in the first place even with the knowledge that the current wav format is "extensible" :-/ and not acceptable/ recognized by GO.

Mark

On 15/12/2016 18:42, Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users wrote:
On 2016-12-15 16:46, Dr. Mark Bugeja MD wrote:
It seems like what I did didn't work although I'm still waiting for a
reply from my friend.

I am looking for converters hoping to strike gold but instead I seem
to find myself sinking deeper and deeper in thick mud.

For instance.... there is this online converter. Ok. Select
bit-resolution, done; sampling rate, done; audio channels, done.
Then... show advanced options, PCM format: and a horrible list with
such things as little-endian and big-endian crops up. What the.......!
What are these? A new race? Aliens from outer space?
When a 24-bit sample value is stored in a file, its three bytes can be
in one order or the reverse; little-endian / big-endian are names for
one or the other option.

The thing that's so far stopped me from suggesting revisions of the sox
command that creates merged files is that I don't know whether it has to
include parameters telling sox what internal format the input file has,
as well as which internal format you want the result to be.  I'd have
hoped sox can id he input format... but if soxi can't discriminate
between the two formats of data then maybe sox also cannot.

There's also, maybe, a problem if it turns out that only some of your
release files are in this funny format.  The script that does merging
may have to become quite a lot more complicated - it's easy to have it
issue one command for 'main' files and another for 'release' files, but
complicated if it has to somehow test which format files are in.

http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav
If you were going to use an online converter you'd need some sort of
script, I expect, to feed thousands of files into it and retrieve the
result - it'd be awful doing that manually.  I'm not keen on trying to
write a script for that if I don't have to.

Avast logo