Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: merging mono files

On 2016-12-15 10:18, Dr. Mark Bugeja MD wrote:
> Hi, I have asked a GrandOrgue guru who has helped many times in the
> past and himself a sampleset creator. I sent him my main files and
> releases and he discovered that the issue lies in the fact with the
> releases, in that, for some strange mysterious reason, are saved as
> "Wave_ Format_Extensible (Wavex)" whilst the main files are in
> "Wave_Format_PCM". The latter is the correct format. This is the first
> time I ever came across this. I am still waiting for a reply as to how
> he managed to extract this information!
>
> Now for the next step: it's not so much understanding what Wavex is
> but what software sports and supports this feature. All software I
> have used so far identify one type of wav format only. No choice. No
> options to select other than other formats like aiff, aa3, ac3, vox,
> wma, wmv, mp3, flac, ogg, etc etc!

The .wav file format is what, in computing, is known as a 'container'
file.  There are many types of data that can appear inside one, defined
by the initial few bytes in the header of the file.  For a simple WAVE
file there's just the header then the audio data, but - I believe - more
complicated files can have non-audio data interleaved with audio data
throughout the file.  Each section of audio or other data is introduced
by something saying what follows, so programs can skip over the parts
they do not understand.

For example, a Broadcast Wave file also has extension .wav, but contains
extra non-audio data required by the BBC, EBU and so on.

Sox does support reading and creation of files whose names end in .wav
but have (as the sox manual says) non-standard internal headers; there
are extra parameters for sox commands that will allow us to tell it what
form an input file has and what form the output file needs to have.

I'm curious though why soxi did not identify the difference.  Maybe it's
not aware of the difference, or, the example files you've looked at with
soxi weren't different.  Did you send to the guru the same files as
those
that you've been issuing commands against?

Also, if this is the problem, what you wrote implies that the funny
format
is only for release files... which would imply that the sox merge of the
main files should have worked.  Did they?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own