Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: merging mono files

On 2016-12-12 20:07, Dr. Mark Bugeja MD wrote:
> This is one recent instance where I described the structure of the
> folders. Perhaps I should have stated:
>
> Each folder has a list of files + 3 /*sub*/folders, each with its own
> list of files.

Yes.

I assumed (from your original post) that there could be any number of
sub-
folders, with arbitrary names, albeit (probably) all of form "rel" plus
five digit number.

If those sub-folders are always present or at least are always meant to
be
then (if I'd been writing a script for myself) I'd have checked that
each
sample's folder contained the expected three sub-folders - no more and
no
fewer.  But on the assumption that there could be any number of them, of
any name, I would have done what Kevin did, & made the script just
process
whatever subfolders it found.

Also, your original example of file/folder layouts had quite a lot of
"etc"s
in them, which implies that we weren't necessarily seeing the whole set
of
possibilities.  And, your text said "Each subfolder has similarly names
files
as shown.", which is too vague for anyone (writing a script) to be
certain of
what you meant.

On the other hand, I do see - now - that your description, eg:

Basson16L
....rel00150
........036-C
........037-C#
........038-D
........etc
....rel00600
........036-C
........037-C#
........038-D
........etc
....rel99999
........036-C
........037-C#
........038-D
........etc
036-C
037-C#
038-D
  etc

did include separate files (the lines at the end of that list) as well
as sub-
folders.  My only excuse for not realising their significance is that I
thought
(wrongly!) that you'd forgotten to put lots of dots in front of one set
of names!
On the other hand, there's no good reason to put the "main files" at the
bottom
of a list.   They'd have been far more obvious if they'd been described
first.

If I'd been describing this structure to someone else I'd have said
something
like:

   For each set of samples, eg "Basson16" there's two folders named with
"L"
   and "R" suffixes.  Each contains some audio files, one for each note
of
   the scale, named accordingly, eg "037-C#.wav" - representing the C
sharp
   that's the 37th note counted from the lowest pitched one in the sample
   set (or whatever the significance of that number is).

   As well as the main data for each note there's three additional files,
each
   holding data describing short, medium and long 'releases'.  These are
always
   stored in subfolders named "rel00150", "rel00600" and "rel99999".
Whatever
   the set of main data files is, the subfolders should have the same
named set
   of subsidiary files, so for example, as there's a 037-C#.wav file in
the main
   folder there should be three more files with that name in the three
relnnnnn
   folders.

   I would also have explained whether there could ever be any other
files in the
   main or relnnnnn folders, which contain other things - eg any .txt
files that
   contain descriptions of the data.

   Perhaps I'd also have said that all the individual files should have
names that
   are a three digit number, a dash, and one of A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G
G#.  I
   might have said what the range of the three-digit numbers is: do they
always
   start at 001, and always end at the (same) high value?  Do they always
go up in
   ones?  What should the script do if there's a gap in the sequence?

I'd then have listed the full names (paths) of all the files describing
one note
for one sample eg:

   C:\my\organsamples\basson16l\037-C#.wav
   C:\my\organsamples\basson16l\rel00150\037-C#.wav
   C:\my\organsamples\basson16l\rel00600\037-C#.wav
   C:\my\organsamples\basson16l\rel99999\037-C#.wav

   C:\my\organsamples\basson16r\037-C#.wav
   C:\my\organsamples\basson16r\rel00150\037-C#.wav
   C:\my\organsamples\basson16r\rel00600\037-C#.wav
   C:\my\organsamples\basson16r\rel99999\037-C#.wav

which hopefully would have removed some of the vagueness.  Notice, no
unnecessary
dots, and the full names (with the ".wav" extensions) of the files.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own