Re: sox vs libmagic

On 2016-09-21 15:21, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Jan Stary <hans@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>> And even that is not a reason to have the libmagic functionality
>> in_SoX_itself. Find out what the format is (possibly with file(1)),
>> and then run sox on it with the appropriate --type.
>
> That's your opinion.  I don't see anyone agreeing with you.

Yoo-hoo!  I'm over here, waving.

Sox is a command-line utility, and one of the powers of a well-designed
set of CLI utilities (some would say, of a set of Unix or Linux CLI
utilities) is that each one does one tightly-defined thing as well as it
can, and lets other tools do other stuff.

I suppose one's point of view might depend on how fluent one is with
scripting languages; I'm perfectly happy to write (quite complex)
scripts
which call sox, and use any number of appropriate other tools to
determine
what the sox command should be.  But, I programmed computers for a
living.

I do accept that those without such fluency would have a different point
of view, but ... not all that many people who hate the CLI are going to
be
using sox without some sort of front-end.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own