Re: sox vs libmagic

> >> Unless it is broken or a burden to maintain, it should stay.  You're not
> >> even the maintainer, so why do you care?
> >
> > You have a very strange attitude towards software.
> > I am not even the maintainer, so why do I care. Jesus.
>
> Nobody is asking you to maintain the libmagic support.

Yes. And being asked to maintain something is the
only reason people would care about software, right?
Here's a suggestion: drop the meta-discussion about
why I care, OK?

> >> You could say the same about almost every feature in sox.  The vast
> >> majority of effects are very rarely used.
> >
> > The effects are audio signal processors. That's what SoX does.
> > Guessing the format of unknown files is not. That's what file(1) does.
> > So no, this stretched generalization of yours doesn't work either.
>
> "What sox does" also includes processing audio files of unknown
> format.

... once the format is known.

> >> So you want to fix the internet.  Good luck with that.
> >
> > And in closing, another meaningless strawman.
> > No, I don't want to "fix the internet", whatever you mean by that.
>
> I mean there are scores of files out there that are misnamed or
> otherwise without indication of format.  Unless you can somehow fix
> every mistake on the internet, that's not going to change.

And even that is not a reason to have the libmagic functionality
in_SoX_itself. Find out what the format is (possibly with file(1)),
and then run sox on it with the appropriate --type.

	Jan