Re: sox vs libmagic

Jan Stary <hans@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > Would anyone miss the libmagic functionality
>> > if it was removed from SoX?
>
> On Sep 18 10:27:00, peterparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> A few other posters have commented to either enable or disable at
>> compilation time. I am using sox a lot, but have never compiled it
>> myself and would be happy if I hadn't to in the future to either enable
>> or disable libmagic, whatever my preference would be.
>
> On Sep 19 15:51:53, mans@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Until someone can point to a specific problem the feature is causing,
>> I see absolutely no reason for removing it.
>
> I think it goes the other way: there needs to be a specific reason to
> have it in there.

It's already there, presumably because it was useful to someone.  I'm
against removing features merely because one person lacks the
imagination to see their utility.  If the situation were reversed,
someone sending a patch to add this feature, I'd be asking for examples
of when it is needed.  Change without reason is always misguided.

--
Måns Rullgård