Re: Comments on draft-loreto-sipping-context-id-requirements-00

Hi Paul, John and all,

I agree that party A could use 3pcc to making transparent for party B the fact that it is using separate devices for different media, and
then making everything into one dialog for B;
however there could be situation, and indeed there are use cases where it would be preferable not using a centralized and heavy mechanism as
3pcc but instead having something more distributed and lighter.

About your concern on what happens if party B wants to transfer the "call", in the case where party A asked party B to establish a correlation between two dialogs, my first answer is that yes it should be expected to do *two* transfer - one for each dialog, and I don't see any problem in this. Of course I can be wrong in this, and probably I am, as usual.

Thanks
Sal

Paul Kyzivat wrote:
I still remain unconvinced that it is needful or reasonable for party A to expect it can ask party B to establish a correlation between two dialogs.

It becomes a very slippery slope. For instance once that has happened, if party B wants to transfer the "call", should it be expected to do *two* transfers - one for each dialog?

IMO this is a problem to be solved by the UA that wants the correlation. E.g. if A wants to have separate audio and video devices at *its* end of a dialog with B, then it is responsible for making that into one dialog for B. Then if B wants to transfer the call to C, it can do so using normal means. A will be responsible for dealing with the implications of that, not B or C.

In this case there clearly is some element that knows about the correlation. But it is the same element that made the initial decision that a correlation is desirable.

    Thanks,
    Paul