Re: Comments on draft-loreto-sipping-context-id-requirements-00

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 12:14 +0200, salvatore loreto wrote:
> In fact we have heavily rewritten the last version focusing only on the
> problem space related to how
> logically correlate multiple SIP dialogs that relate to the same
> multimedia session,
> without any assumption on the desired mechanism:

OK, I was out-of-date there.  One thing I notice is that the requirement
to be able to correlate with past dialogs is removed, which means that
you can't support some of the use cases in the -00 draft.  Have those
become unimportant?

>    REQ1  It must be possible to correlate an already existing dialog or
>       dialogs with a new dialog or dialogs as relating to the same media
>       session.

The following questions remain:

> There is also the question of whether we can create the initial dialog
> without knowing in advance whether another dialog will want to
> correlate with it.  In the call-completion work, we took as an
> assumption that call originators would not be willing to tag each call
> with a special value just so that a small minority of calls could
> later have call-completion applied to them.

> In regard to identifying conversation spaces, we need to pay attention
> to what we mean.  Presumably, if dialog A is "in the same conversation
> space" as dialog B, then dialog B is also "in the same conversation
> space" as dialog A.  More subtly, is this relationship transitive?
> That is, if we correlate A and B, and we correlate B and C, have we
> automatically correlated A and C?
>
> More treacherously, do these relationships change with time?  [...deleted...]
> But with a little work, we can construct sequences
> of interactions that cause a UA to create dialogs A and B to different
> endpoints, and then only later, the UA is forced to conclude that A
> and B are in the same communication space.  But since the UA didn't
> know that fact at the time it created A and B, it may not have been
> able to tag them as "in the same communication space".
>
> One way to get out of that mess is to make the "in the same space"
> relationship abstract, and the UA never needs to actually know it.
> (The "References" header uses this escape; "related" is only truly
> known by an omniscient observer, and a UA never needs to know whether
> two dialogs are "related", it only needs to indicate to the omniscient
> observer that it knows at this moment that two dialogs are "related".)
>
> Another escape is to make "in the same communication space" entirely
> operational, to reduce it to "when initiating a dialog, the INVITE may
> indicate that this dialog is intended to be rendered 'in the same
> communication space' as one or more other specified dialogs".  This is
> what the Join header does.

Dale