Re: Comments on draft-loreto-sipping-context-id-requirements-00

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 09:41 -0500, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> Well, since the draft only talks about correlating dialogs, the issue
> with MESSAGE only comes when using MESSAGE in-dialog.
>
> While it isn't *forbidden* to use MESSAGE in a dialog, that technique
> was rejected by the WG for session mode IM. Also, the last I knew, at
> least Microsoft's use of MESSAGE in-dialog also used a special m-line in
> SDP to negotiate doing so.
>
> Establishing a dialog without media, to be used for exchanging MESSAGE
> hasn't been formally defined. It would be problematic - some kind of
> signaling would be needed to indicate that the intent is to exchange
> MESSAGEs. If you have that, then it could probably be used to combine
> the media. Certainly if you have a dialog with no media you can make
> another offer to add voice or video.

But if you tagged each of a long series of out-of-dialog MESSAGE
requests with the same context-id, they'd all get displayed in the same
communication context at the recipient, even if each MESSAGE had a
unique call-id.  (In this, I'm modeling such a MESSAGE as "a dialog of
one request", which I think is more or less implicit in SIP.)

Dale