Re: Comments on draft-loreto-sipping-context-id-requirements-00

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 15:57 +0200, salvatore loreto wrote:
> >> There is also the question of whether we can create the initial dialog
> >> without knowing in advance whether another dialog will want to
> >> correlate with it.  In the call-completion work, we took as an
> >> assumption that call originators would not be willing to tag each call
> >> with a special value just so that a small minority of calls could
> >> later have call-completion applied to them.
> >>
> [Sal] yes I agree that we have to discuss "when correlation happens",
> I do not have a strong opinion on this point, I think the correlation
> could happen at any point during the dialog establishment phase.

The question is, that is, it might or might not be a requirement:  Does
a dialog have to be specially marked during its establishment in order
for another, later, dialog to correlate with it?

> >> But with a little work, we can construct sequences
> >> of interactions that cause a UA to create dialogs A and B to different
> >> endpoints, and then only later, the UA is forced to conclude that A
> >> and B are in the same communication space.  But since the UA didn't
> >> know that fact at the time it created A and B, it may not have been
> >> able to tag them as "in the same communication space".
> >>
> >> One way to get out of that mess is to make the "in the same space"
> >> relationship abstract, and the UA never needs to actually know it.
> >> (The "References" header uses this escape; "related" is only truly
> >> known by an omniscient observer, and a UA never needs to know whether
> >> two dialogs are "related", it only needs to indicate to the omniscient
> >> observer that it knows at this moment that two dialogs are "related".)
> >>
> [Sal] here you are already talking about a solution, where I think we
> should still continue to discuss the requirements
> and the use case related to the requirements.

Actually, I'm talking about another potential requirement:  If dialogs A
and B are established, with no indication of correlation between them,
does it need to be possible for a dialog C to establish a correlation
with *both* A and B?  (Which will presumably place all 3 dialogs in the
same communication space.)

Dale