Re: Getting 3rd party RPM's via an OS installer?

Dan Stromberg - Datallegro wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > You could create an rpm that depended not only on the 3rd party rpms
> > but also on the dependencies that you have deduced are required.  Then
> > install your rpm and it should bring in all of the dependencies.
>
> Say the special RPM is called "knot".
>
> Wouldn't you need to make your 3rd party RPM's require knot, and make knot
> require anything the 3rd party RPM's require?

If you can modify your 3rd party rpms directly then wouldn't it be
simpler to correct the Requires: in them directly too?  If you can
modify the 3rd party rpms then there is no need for an intermediate
meta package to hold the extra dependencies.  But if you can't then
that is why I suggested this other way instead.  I admit it puts the
cart before the horse but it probably won't matter in many cases and
if you have one of those cases then it won't matter for you either.

> I'm no RPM expert, but it seems like if knot required the 3rd party RPM's,
> it'd be installed after the 3rd party RPM's, and the 3rd party RPM's
> remain at the mercy of the topological sort. Or am I missing something?

You are right but it only matters if the 3rd party rpm %post script
uses one of the dependencies in the %post script itself.  If the 3rd
party rpm does not do anything interesting in the %post then you would
be fine.  After the rpm install finishes all of the dependencies would
be in place and subsequent command use would have all of the
dependencies installed.

In summary you are correct about the install ordering but if the
dependences are not needed until after the installation then as a
workaround kludge for not being able to modify the 3rd party rpms then
I think it will work anyway.  If you can modify the 3rd party rpms
then simply fixing the Requires: to be correct is best.

You can inspect the rpm %post scripts with this following.  If there
are no dependencies there then this hack I suggested would work.  Of
course if you do find dependencies there then there is almost no
alternative to correcting the original rpm files.

  rpm -qp --scripts file.rpm

Bob