Re: Getting 3rd party RPM's via an OS installer?

Determining what the precise requirements are is a
common problem.

One thing that would make it easier is to make
requires more testable. It would be useful to have a
flag somewhere that suggests to the installation
method to move the package as close to the front of
installation order as possible.

Another testing problem is that when an install fails
to find a requirement, whether that error halts
installation depends on the installer. So anaconda
will permit installation of components where not all
requirements are present, but other installation
methods will not.

This is going to seem anathema to many, but because I
don't have control over third party packaging, I'd
like to be able to add requires to a package without
rebuilding it. My dream is to be able to edit
requires-additional.xml in a yum repository, and have
anaconda, if in a kickstart, or yum, or any other
package, honor the extra requires as if they were part
of the rpm.

Hmmm, perhaps I should wish for this on the yum list.