Re: Getting 3rd party RPM's via an OS installer?

Leland Ray wrote:
> One thing that would make it easier is to make
> requires more testable. It would be useful to have a
> flag somewhere that suggests to the installation
> method to move the package as close to the front of
> installation order as possible.

The problem is what do you do when there are multiple packages hinting
to be "as early as possible"?  What should the ordering be there?  I
don't think imprecise hinting is the right way to go.  Better to have
the actual requirements and then be able to sort based upon those.

> Another testing problem is that when an install fails
> to find a requirement, whether that error halts
> installation depends on the installer. So anaconda
> will permit installation of components where not all
> requirements are present, but other installation
> methods will not.

I think this is because of an attempt to work around circular
dependencies.  I really wish circular dependencies were simply
disallowed.  It would solve many problems.

> This is going to seem anathema to many, but because I
> don't have control over third party packaging, I'd
> like to be able to add requires to a package without
> rebuilding it.

It is mostly possible to create a new rpm based upon an existing rpm
simply by repackaging the binary rpm and without recompiling.  There
are some issues trying to do this in the general case but most
particular examples can be recreated.

> My dream is to be able to edit requires-additional.xml in a yum
> repository, and have anaconda, if in a kickstart, or yum, or any
> other package, honor the extra requires as if they were part of the
> rpm.
>
> Hmmm, perhaps I should wish for this on the yum list.

It would be more palatable if that fed directly into a bug database
such that whenever it was used it was clearly indicated as a
workaround for bugs in the packaging.  I would fear that something
like this would become accepted as a normal way to do things and not
as an exceptional condition to work around bugs.

Bob