Re: Bootstrapping an RPM area.

Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Nope no documentation and no vendor that I'm aware of has chosen to
> pick up the sysinfo functionality,
> mainly because on a system that is entirely managed by rpm there is
> no need to add additional provides
> from system configuration.
>
> On Solaris and other non-linux systems, or any system with other
> means than rpm to install software,
> additional provides can be specified in the file /etc/rp[m/sysinfo,
> one per line, same format as rpm -q --provides.
>
> The alternative means to supply dependencies, using a virtual
> package, turns out to be too stiff for most users afaict.
> So adding provides through /etc/rpm/sysinfo has been rescusitated
> (rpm-2.x used to have this functionality)\ instead.

Okay, so after doing a little examination of the output of rpm --showrc, it
looks like I can redefine %{_rpmds_sysinfo_path} to point to some more
reasonable area (since the only thing I'm really guaranteed about any of
these systems that I'll be building on is that I won't have root access).

So if I've got an rpm binary in /local/rpm-area/bin/rpm, then I can put the
following line in my .rpmmacros:

%_rpmds_sysinfo_path /local/rpm-area/etc/rpm/sysinfo

Then start populating /local/rpm-area/etc/rpm/sysinfo with what the system
provides, then I should be good to go.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks.
--