Re: Bootstrapping an RPM area.

Tim Mooney wrote:

> In regard to: Bootstrapping an RPM area., Steve Juranich said (at 1:19pm
> on...:
>
>> I've done a little experimentation in a sandbox and I've come up with
>> what I think is an acceptable way of doing things, but I'd like to know
>> if there is a "right" way.
>
> Why don't you outline your method, and we'll shoot holes in it (if need
> be)?  ;-)

Okay, first there are the "build dependencies", tools that are necessary to
actually compile, these should be available on the system, but we need to
provide them if they are not:

1) tar, gzip & patch to extract the tarball and apply any necessary patches.
2) C compiler (preferably GCC).
3) GNU Make (which depends on ...?)

Next are the RPM prerequisites, things that RPM itself needs to build.  We
will most likely need to provide these:

1) The BeeCrypt library.
2) The Neon library (what does this depend on?)
3) Python

"Optional dependencies" that can be skipped if the right flags are given to
the configure script (technically, Python would go here, but we're looking
at using SMART to do some of the work, so Python gets bumped up, plus it's
really cool):

1) Perl
2) Lua (really?)
3) gettext (we won't be needing NLS).
4) SELinux (we don't need this either).
5) Java
6) Tcl

Then the actual act of compiling RPM would go here.  It would get installed
into some /local/area.  I'd then run /local/area/bin/rpm --initdb.

To finalize the bootstrap, I'd need to create some virtual package defining
what the system provides (things like /bin/sh, libc, libstdc++, and the
like).

Question:
Would I want to reinstall Python, BeeCrypt, Neon, and RPM from RPMs using
the new bootstrap rpm, or would I be better off just creating more virtual
packages that "provide" the right things for the system to get into a good
state?

So am I close, or have I missed something horribly important?  Any pointers
in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  I am, of course,
assuming that I'll get to a point in my own checked out version of the code
when I can do a `make dist' and create a suitable tarball for use in
distribution.

Thanks for the pointers about building on Solaris, I'm sure they'll come in
handy.

--
Steve Juranich
Tucson, AZ