Bootstrapping an RPM area.

Are there any updated documents that talk about bootstrapping RPM from
source onto various platforms?  I need to be able to support at least
Linux, Solaris 8 and up, plus Mac OS X.  I realize that there are already
binary packages available for each of these platforms, but I won't always
have the root access that would be necessary to install them into the main
system area.

I've looked at the RPM guide (specifically Chs 18 & 19), but they all make
references to fairly old versions of the code base (I think 4.1 was the
latest one referenced).  The dependency list seems to have grown quite a
bit since then.

I've done a little experimentation in a sandbox and I've come up with what I
think is an acceptable way of doing things, but I'd like to know if there
is a "right" way.

Any help, advice, guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Steve Juranich
Tucson, AZ