Re: Bootstrapping an RPM area.

On May 24, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Steve Juranich wrote:

Tim Mooney wrote:

To finalize the bootstrap, I'd need to create some virtual package
defining what the system provides (things like /bin/sh, libc, libstdc++,
and the like).

Yes, or use the "sysinfo" file (probably /etc/rpm/sysinfo though you can I think change that by modifying a macro in one of the macros files that RPM will search). I'm a fan of virtual packages, though they seem to be
falling out of vogue.  ;-)

Note that RPM 4.4.6 also requires that you have something (either virtual packages or /etc/rpm/sysinfo) provide directories too, so you'll to keep
all of those in mind as well.

Is this /etc/rpm/sysinfo documented anywhere? I can't find it in the latest
version of the RPM guide, and it doesn't exist on this SuSE box I'm on
right now (SuSE 9.3).

Nope no documentation and no vendor that I'm aware of has chosen to pick up the sysinfo functionality, mainly because on a system that is entirely managed by rpm there is no need to add additional provides
from system configuration.

On Solaris and other non-linux systems, or any system with other means than rpm to install software, additional provides can be specified in the file /etc/rp[m/sysinfo, one per line, same format as rpm -q --provides.

The alternative means to supply dependencies, using a virtual package, turns out to be too stiff for most users afaict. So adding provides through /etc/rpm/sysinfo has been rescusitated (rpm-2.x used to have this functionality)\ instead.

73 de Jeff