Re: Multilib packages and data files

Jos Vos wrote:

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:37:45AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

Yep.  It is a darn nuisance that there is no reference counting.  RPM
allows files to overlap if the md5sums are the same.  And when the
package is removed it removes all of the files.  This seems to be a
basic design flaw.  (However one that could be fixed with the addition
of reference counting.)

Oh... that's not what I remember from non-multilib packages sharing
files.  AFAIK there is a reference kept that works fine (but I did
not test that recently).

I'm quite sure it does, at least with rpm 4.2. If you install two different (differently named) packages containing the same file (using --force or --replacefiles when installing the 2nd one), then remove one of them, the file is *not* deleted.

- Toralf