Re: Multilib packages and data files

Jos Vos wrote:
> I just detected that when I have (on a x86_64 system) both the x86_64
> and i386 versions of a package "foo" installed and I remove the i386
> version (rpm -e foo.i386), then it removes the documentation files
> (/usr/share/doc/xyz-...) that belonged (or should belong?) to both
> packages, so "rpm -V foo" then shows the missing files.

Yep.  It is a darn nuisance that there is no reference counting.  RPM
allows files to overlap if the md5sums are the same.  And when the
package is removed it removes all of the files.  This seems to be a
basic design flaw.  (However one that could be fixed with the addition
of reference counting.)

> I tried this on RHEL4: when I remove all i386 packages after a full
> install (OK, maybe "I just should not do this" ;-)) there are about
> 4800 files missing in the left-over x86_64 packages: documentation
> files, but also "locale" files etc.
>
> Is this a bug or is there a reasonable explanation (which I can't
> imagine...)?

Don't ever upgrade?  Many people believe that you can only scrape
clean and reinstall.  Alternatively you would need to keep both
packages completely in lock step, that is, upgrade both the 32-bit and
64-bit packages at the same time on the same command line.
Alternatively reinstall the 64-bit packages on top of themselves to
replace the removed parts of themselves.

Bob