Re: Multilib packages and data files

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:37:45AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Yep.  It is a darn nuisance that there is no reference counting.  RPM
> allows files to overlap if the md5sums are the same.  And when the
> package is removed it removes all of the files.  This seems to be a
> basic design flaw.  (However one that could be fixed with the addition
> of reference counting.)

Oh... that's not what I remember from non-multilib packages sharing
files.  AFAIK there is a reference kept that works fine (but I did
not test that recently).  I thought the problem specifically arises
with multilib packages, maybe due to the "colored" files.

> Don't ever upgrade?  Many people believe that you can only scrape

It's not an upgrade problem.  It's a problem when you at some point
want to remove the 32-bit versions of some packages.

> clean and reinstall.  Alternatively you would need to keep both
> packages completely in lock step, that is, upgrade both the 32-bit and
> 64-bit packages at the same time on the same command line.

That works fine, I think.

> Alternatively reinstall the 64-bit packages on top of themselves to
> replace the removed parts of themselves.

Yep...

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>