Re: Newbie trying to build a binary RPM

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 21:27 -0400, Frank W. Miller wrote:

> That's it, really simple.  I have no idea why I need to do all this in
> the /var/tmp directory or do the build automatically or anything else.
> Also, I'm trying to figure out if there is a book or something that
> explains how this RPM thing works something like the O'Reilly book for
> Make.  The documentation that I've found to date just doesn't seem to
> talk about all the nuances of protections and build directories and all
> that in any kind of easy to understand form.
>
> Thanks for any help you can render on this!
> FM

Frank, may I suggest the Guru Labs RPM documentation. It explains the
whole process from a high level on down to important nuances. It has an
illustration that lays out the build process and (uniquely) includes a
48 page lab exercise that walks you through several tasks ranging from
simple SRPMs rebuilding to advanced packaging techniques.

The RPM documentation is a freely available, creative commons licensed
sample from our library of Linux related courseware.

You can find it here:

http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/guru+guides.php

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs