Re: Newbie trying to build a binary RPM

Guys,

Just getting back to this after working on something else for awhile. Reading back through the email thread on the question I asked, I am just baffled.

I have some basic questions that might help if they are answered. Let me start with a scenario.

I have an application, this SIP-base softphone. Up til now, I've just packaged up a .tgz file that contained the binaries and a document file. No biggie. The source tree I have looks like this:

                                sip

    +-------+---+----+-------+--------+---------+------+-----+----+
    |       |   |    |       |        |         |      |     |    |
CHANGELOG  cli doc  gnome  include  LICENSE  Makefile  src  TODO  wav

To do a build, you just cd into the sip directory and type make. What you get when you're done is two binaries: 1) a file called "sip" in the gnome directory and 2) a file called sip_cli in the "cli" directory. I also generate a .pdf document manually in the doc directory before running the make in the sip directory, call that user.pdf. Finally, there is a .wav file in the wav directory, call it ring.wav.

So I have these four binary files, sip, sip_cli, user.pdf, and ring.wav. All I want to do is to create a binary RPM that will package up these files and when used to install on a user's machine will put these files in the following locations:

/usr/bin/sip
/usr/bin/sip_cli
/etc/cornfed/ring.wav
/usr/share/cornfed/user.pdf

That's it, really simple. I have no idea why I need to do all this in the /var/tmp directory or do the build automatically or anything else. Also, I'm trying to figure out if there is a book or something that explains how this RPM thing works something like the O'Reilly book for Make. The documentation that I've found to date just doesn't seem to talk about all the nuances of protections and build directories and all that in any kind of easy to understand form.

Thanks for any help you can render on this!
FM