Re: Newbie trying to build a binary RPM

Marco Colombo wrote:
> If you live in a hostile environment, make your buildroot in $HOME/tmp,
> which is likely to be already protected, instead of /var/tmp.

Both /tmp and /var/tmp will be protected with the +t bit.

> Actually, setting %_tmppath in .rpmmacros could be a good idea, so
> that you can leave the .spec unchanged (and other tmp files will be
> created in your home tmp as well).

That is fine.  That is the whole point of using a configurable macro.

> Building in /var/tmp but having to closely review your %install scripts
> to pay attention to permissions because of a hostile environment doesn't
> make much sense to me. You'll have to do that for every .spec you build
> from!

If you work in a hostile environment then of course you need to take
extra care.  But by default with +t set on /var/tmp and a "normal"
umask of 022 then other users will not be able to mess with your
buildroot.

Bob