Re: Extracting spec from existing rpm?

Bart Whiteley wrote, around 12/08/2004 11:52 AM:
On Wednesday 08 December 2004 12:40 pm, Hal Wine wrote:

rpmrebuild is your friend -- it'll recreate the spec file with a command line option. All you loose is your comments, macro defs, and conditionals.

Unless I'm mistaken, the spec file generated by rpmrebuild will be quite different from the original if the original built the package
from source (as a good spec should) vs. packaging precompiled binaries.

Arg, you're right, of course. Typed too fast.

Usually, I find the build steps are usually the least hard to recreate for me. That may not be the case for the OP.

It's the packaging, permissions, and scriplets that are the bulk of my spec file headaches. rpmrebuild will get those (but with macros expanded).

Sorry for any confusion...
--Hal