Re: Extracting spec from existing rpm?

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 12:40 pm, Hal Wine wrote:
> rpmrebuild is your friend -- it'll recreate the spec file with a command
> line option. All you loose is your comments, macro defs, and conditionals.

Unless I'm mistaken, the spec file generated by rpmrebuild will
be quite different from the original if the original built the package
from source (as a good spec should) vs. packaging precompiled
binaries.

I've used rpmrebuild for many applications, and it's quite useful, but
I don't think it will bring back your specs the way you would like them.
In particular, the %prep, %build, and %install sections are likely to
be quite different.

Rpmrebuild is capable of building an identical binary RPM, but the
inputs to the build process and the build process itself will be quite
different from the original.

Or am I wrong, and the binary RPMs do contain knowledge of their
spec file, which rpmrebuild can extract?

--
Bart Whiteley <bwhiteley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell, Inc.