Re: How to modify an RPM

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 23:47 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On 12/02/2004 04:10:41 AM, Tristan Miller wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I have created a few dozen RPMs with the checkinstall utility
> > <http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/>.
>
> Neat utility but it is better to make an actual rpm using a spec file
> and here's why -

I manage an enormous number of add-on packages for Fedora, including the
LAPACK and ATLAS numeric libraries, two flavors of Numeric Python
(Numeric and NumPy), IPython, and Matplotlib.  The authors' of these
packages, for their own good reasons including simple lack of time,
don't provide RPM spec files.  Since they are updated frequently, I
would have to create updated RPM spec files myself.  It is much easier
for me to type "checkinstall python setup.py install".

--
Stephen Walton, Professor of Physics and Astronomy,
California State University, Northridge